Abide in Me, and I in you. –Jn. 15:4
This familiar passage of the
vine and the branches appears in Jesus' farewell address to His disciples. The
discourse begins in the upper room where Jesus and the disciples are having
their last Passover supper together. Jesus gives them a new commandment to love
each other and tells them about the Holy Spirit who will come once He is gone.
Then, at Jesus' direction, they all get up and leave, heading toward the garden
of Gethsemane (14:31). On the way, Jesus continues His farewell by comparing
Himself to a grape vine, "I am the true vine..." (15:1ff).
As Jesus extends the
metaphor, He uses the word abide 10 times. Literally, to abide means for
the branch to stay attached to the vine so that the pulsating, sustaining life
of the vine may flow through the branch. Metaphorically then, Jesus is telling
his disciples, "Hey, when I'm gone, don't desert me. Stay connected to me
so my life will flow through you." But, what would it mean for Jesus' life
to flow through somebody? In context, the main entities that flow through the
branches are Jesus' words and the Holy Spirit. That's why Jesus says, "If
you abide in me, and my words abide in you..." (v. 7, emphasis
added). Likewise, that's why Jesus says, "[The Spirit of truth] abides with
you and will be in you" (14:17, emphases added). So, Jesus' words
and the Spirit sustain the branches and ultimately lead them to produce fruit.
What is interesting
throughout the passage is that Jesus puts His emphasis on abiding, not on
bearing fruit. It is as if He is saying the fruit will come as long as we
abide. May we all stay attached to Jesus so His life will pulsate through us.
May we cherish Jesus' words and Spirit so that they will sustain us and cause
us to bear much fruit!
Loved your thoughts on this passage. We just studied it in our small group last week. Until you pointed it out, I hadn't realized the two things things flowing through the vine to us - Jesus' words and the Spirit. When I read your post I had to go back because it reminded me of a verse in Chapter 14 of John. John 14:26 "But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." Isn't that cool?!
ReplyDeleteHoly cow... that's really cool. I hadn't noticed that. Such a great passage. Thanks for sharing, Laura.
Delete